Search This Blog

Friday, June 15, 2012

Remote Internet Access - A Few Words From ne033x

Hello Friends,

I think that many of you may think that  when you make the decision to go off-grid that you'll be sacrificing some of the services that people on the grid take for granted, and I've created this vlog to show you that is NOT the case! When I go completely off-grid within a few weeks, I can tell you that I will be enjoying every single on-grid service that I do now - only miles away from society, deep in the mountains - COMPLETELY OFF-GRID!!!

As some of you know, my business - bread and butter - requires that I work on-line, so this has been a very big concern for me! Knowing I was going completely off the grid, I began researching satellite internet services, only to realize I'd have to hack a friggin satellite to make it cost effective! ;-P Thus began my foray into the wide world of wifi interent! And, trust me - I've experimented with just about every device around, finally inventing my own  very cheap system. Please let me explain!!!

First of all, in a remote location, you will need what is called a high gain directional wifi antenna!
Wifi signals are at 2.4 ghz, and guess what? You know those old television grid antennas on a lot of roofs? The ones collecting dust cuz most people have gone satellite or even digital? Well, they are tuned to 2.4ghz!

So, instead of purchasing a $100+ high gain antenna, start asking friends and neighbors  if you can have them! Of everyone I know who's done this - NO ONE HAS BEEN DENIED! Mainly cuz no one is using them anymore! In a crunch, just drive around and ask the first home owner you see with one on their roof!

Then, what I did was purchase a $30 Walmart NETGEAR USB wifi antenna, replaced the television receiver head with the wifi antenna - Oh yeah, also, a USB extension cord! And, I have been enjoying free wifi internet access from a hotel about a quarter mile from my house for about a year now! What's more is I am shooting from my closet, through three large houses - ALL OF WHICH EVERYONE SAYS CANNOT BE DONE!!!

Basically, there are so many methods to receiving long-range signals, including setting up repeaters, etc, and if you need help, just ask!! I will be producing videos of my set-up once it's established, but I have researched all aspects of long-range wifi, and if I don't have the answers, I'll help you find them!!

So, feel free to give me a holler if you need any help, or even if you want to share your own tips and ideas!!

Your Friend,
Danny aka ne033x



No comments:

Post a Comment